Working in Thuringia

Working in Thuringia

Geflüchtete: Arbeit

Show all answers
Hide all answers
  • When can I work?

    To work in Germany you need the consent of the immigration office. Three months after your registration in Germany you will be able to receive such a consent. You will need proof of this on your BÜMA (registration document for asylum-seekers). If you find a job you have to get the approval of your immigration office to work there. As soon as you have a positive decision about your asylum application (if you have received a residence permit) you are able to work straight away.

  • How can I find work?

    You can find jobs for example on the internet, in newspapers, in shop windows or at your local employment agency. The employment agencies also offer support from job advisors.  They will need your personal information (i.e. information about schools and former jobs). It is important to bring your documents (i.e. certificates, degrees) with you all the time. You might have had first interviews with job advisors during your time in the initial reception facility. You can also find local jobs on the job market on this homepage. You can search for jobs and put in applications.

  • How can an internship help?

    An internship can give you an impression of the job, provide skills and be the first step towards a new job. During the asylum procedure or if you have a temporary suspension of removal (Duldung) you need the consent of the immigration office. An internship can improve your chances of getting a job: You can prove your skills and after the internship you receive a certificate which shows your qualifications. An internship usually lasts between two weeks and three months.

  • Can I work in my former vocation?

    For many professional qualifications, it is helpful to have them recognised if you want to find a job. In a procedure regulated by law your professional qualification will be compared with the German professional qualification to see if they can be recognised. Some professions (so-called “regulated” professions) cannot be practised without recognition of your professional qualification. Also, you cannot call yourself by these professional titles unless your title is recognised. Regulated professions include for example the professions of doctor, nurse, geriatric nurse, lawyer/barrister, teacher, engineer or architect.

    For many other professions (so-called “non-regulated” professions) you do not need a recognition of your qualifications. You can immediately apply for jobs and work. However, having your qualifications checked can be useful as your employer will be able to assess what skills and qualifications you have. You can find free advice on the recognition of qualifications at the counselling centres of the "Integration through Qualification (IQ)" funding programme in Thuringia. You can find more and detailed information on the website