Migranten: Mobilität

Show all answers
Hide all answers
  • How is Thuringia connected to other places?

    Two big motorways connect Thuringia to the East and West (Autobahn A4) and to the North and South (Autobahn A9). Both motorways are or will be broadened so that they consist of six lanes. The new Thuringian forest motorway (Autobahn A71/73) offers fast access to Southern and South-Western Germany. And the Autobahn A38 connects Northern Thuringia with the economic centre of the Rhein-Ruhr region and the Halle/Leipzig area.

    Compared to its size and population Thuringia offers the densest rail network in Germany. It is integrated into the high-speed Deutsche Bahn intercity network (ICE and IC). And the new high speed route which is being built will offer a new Nürnberg-Erfurt line as well as a Erfurt-Leipzig/Halle line. This will turn Erfurt central station into one of the main links for the fast ICE trains. The Thuringian regions are linked to Erfurt and other ICE train stations in neighbouring federal states via regional express trains.

    Apart from the international Erfurt-Weimar Airport there are 19 licensed civil airfields in Thuringia. Leipzig-Halle Airport is about one and a half hours away from Erfurt. The second largest airport in Europe, Frankfurt Airport, is located two and a half hours away from Erfurt.

  • What do I need to drive a car?

    To drive a car in Germany, you are obligated to have a driver’s licence. Are you in Germany temporarily, you can use your driver’s licence from your home country. If you possess a driver’s licence from a member state of the European Union (EU) or from a country which is a signatory to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA), your licence is valid until it expires – even if you live in Germany permanently. Driver’s licences from other countries expire automatically after six months. You can ask your local driver licensing authority (citizen’s office) if and how you may get a German licence.

    Your car must be officially registered as well.  To get your car registered, you show the registration certificate to your local vehicle registration office. You will also need your passport, a confirmation of your registration at the registration office, as well as a confirmation from your motor insurance provider who will pay the other party's claims in case of an accident.  If you have a used car, you will have to prove that it has passed a general inspection: Every two years your car has to be inspected by a certified inspection association such as TÜV or DEKRA.